Wednesday, May 27, 2015

About Weight Loss - How I Started My Journey

What do we understand about losing weight? Some people might take it the wrong way, for example, to eat lesser than we are supposed to, or to starve ourselves, etc. No, it's all wrong! Yes we eat lesser, but we don't eat lesser than the calories we are supposed to take in a day. We need a balance of exercise and food to keep our body fit and in other words, working.

Often that people mistake that, if we want to lose weight, we need to starve ourselves, we can't eat this, we can't eat that. But technically, we can eat anything, of course 'anything' doesn't include fast food, oily food, etc. What i meant that we could eat anything is, food with high carbs, low fat or high protein, low carbs (if you want to build huge muscles); rice (high carbs, low fats), lean meat (high protein), eggs (high protein) for instance. We still eat normal food, just in smaller portion and more meals. Eat more fruits, drink more water; it helps to flush all the toxins in our body.

I've once heard from my friend that it's 20% exercise and 80% food. It's all about the food you consume/ feed your body. I've came from someone with 86kg to 66kg in 1 year time. Yes, it's a lot of weight there. I've tried many ways to lose weight; from cutting down food intake to joining weight loss programs, it all didn't work.

What I think i did wrong was, keeping track of my weight every single day. But maybe it's just me, it's not the same for everyone. I realised that when i keep track of my weight every single day, and it didn't go down, it made me depressed, and that made me eat even more.

Therefore, I started putting away my weighing machine, and just continue working out; eating less but more meals in a day. It went on for almost 6-7months before i start weighing myself again and really seeing some results. I went from 86kg to 73kg; then continued with what I'm doing, exercising often, keeping myself fit. It wasn't easy for sure. At the beginning, my friend invited me to go hike with her every Saturdays and Sundays. We kept this on for a few months. After she gave up, I told myself, 'I've gotten this far, I need to keep going on'; I went hiking myself after that, but the place where I used to hike was a little far for me and since I'm alone, i decided to just jog around my neighborhood. Of course, I did some abs exercise at home as well.

I'm working, so I don't have much time to workout, but there's no excuses for this. So, I searched on youtube for some workout that I could do with minimal time, 10-15mins. I found Blogilates and POPSUGAR Fitness.

Oh, I love Cassey, she is a cheerful and positive person. I'd love to have a friend like this around me, always motivated. At the beginning, she was the only following her on youtube, doing almost all of her exercises; I thought Pilates are going to be easy, but it is HARD. Still very impressed that she could still speak while doing the workouts.

P/S: My friend also once told me that, to burn off the excess fats in our body, we need to build more muscles and unless we are taking steroids, we are not going to turn into Hulk even if we lift weights.


Toodles!

Suzanne

No comments: